Stacks Image 2306
Stacks Image 548

Map
Directory
Route Finder

Lydd reached the height of its prosperity during the 13th century, when it was a corporate member of the Cinque Ports, a "limb" of Romney.
As with much of the marsh, the town was a base for smuggling in the 18th and 19th centuries

KENT - PLACES OF INTEREST | KENT - POINTS OF INTEREST | KENT - PEOPLE OF INTEREST

Whether you are looking for relaxation and the chance to unwind or for something more active including great hand's on fun for the younger family members then Kent is the place for you. With many award winning attractions featured together with the best known places to visit and many smaller less well known attractions.
Choose from enchanting gardens, historic houses, mysterious castles, cathedrals and country churches, fascinating museums, animal parks, steam trains, amazing maritime heritage and much more.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Lydd Shopping
There are hundreds of independent retailers situated in the Kent, offering an array of worldwide brands to locally sourced products. Each and every one of them offer a customer service that just can’t be found on the high street.
Check the Lydd Directory
All Saints Lydd
At 199 ft (60.7m) this is the longest parish church in Kent and its 15th century tower is one of the tallest with a height of 132 ft (40.2m). It is a magnificent church known locally as the Cathedral of the Marsh. In the northwest corner the remains of a 4th or 5th century Romano- British basilica have been incorporated into the walls of the 13th century church.The church has a remarkable collection of monuments ranging from a brass to John Mottesfont to a roundel carved in marble by John Flaxman in memory of Anne Russell and her son.

C’est la plus longue église paroissiale du Kent et sa tour du 15e siècle est l’une des plus hautes. Elle est connue localement comme la Cathédrale du Marsh.
Lydd Interactive Map
Romney Marsh Visitor Centre
An award-winning, eco-friendly vistor centre and nature reserve which is largely dune grassland with willow scrub and seasonal ponds. The centre has many intresting sustainable features including a 'living' sedum roof, rendered straw bale walls and a wood burning stove.
Lydd Interactive Map
Cinque Port - Lydd Limb
LYDD LIMB Lydd is the Associate town of New Romney. As can be seen on the maps, the Bay of Romney is now Romney Marsh, and Lydd is no longer on an island. Tenterden is now quite a few miles inland, but originally, it had it's own port of Smallhythe which had it's own shipyard and quay.
More about Cinque Ports
RHDR
Stacks Image 3084
Hythe is the northern terminus of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, running third-scale steam and diesel locomotives. The track runs parallel to coast through Dymchurch and New Romney to Dungeness. The founders were Captain J Howey and Count Louis Zborowski. It opened in 1927. The trains run on a gauge of 15 inches (380 mm) in width, and the track is nearly 14 miles (23 km) long. During the Second World War the service transported the Operation Pluto pipeline.
Laurel & Hardy Video
Lydd Smuggling
In the long struggle between the free traders and the various preventive services there was hideous violence, needless suffering, villainy and greed, but also determination, skill and courage on both sides. This was a significant episode in our social history. For more than a century the black economy played a major role in everyday life, probably accounting in peak years for a quarter of all of England's overseas trade, and employing up to 40,000 at a time
Lympne Castle
Stacks Image 3101
St. Stephen's church and Lympne Castle overlook Romney Marsh, the church being significantly older, and close by Lympne Hill figures in the Doctor Syn stories.
More about Lympne
Royal Military Canal
Stacks Image 3109
Take time out on a crisp sunny day and stroll alongside the Royal Military Canal, one of Kent’s famous pieces of local history. Discover its wildlife, beauty and past on a walking route in Hythe.

The Royal Military Canal runs across the northern edge of the marsh, to Winchelsea. Running under Stade Street, the canal, intended to repel invasion during the Napoleonic wars of 1804 to 1815, gives central Hythe its character. Now shaded by trees, the canal, 30 feet (10m) wide passes into the marsh from the middle of the town. The canal begins at Seabrook and runs through Hythe and across Romney Marsh to Winchelsea. Its 26-mile length can be walked.
Electric Boat Trip Video
More about Lympne
Dining in Lydd
Whether you want to relax over a cappuccino, enjoy a light lunch, have a fun family meal or indulge in a taste sensation, Kent caters for every occasion.
customer service that just can’t be found on the high street.
Check the Lydd Directory
Brenzett Museum
Brenzett Museum is a unique collection of wartime equipment, remains recovered from aircraft crash sites and memorabilia collected and donated to the Museum since it's formation in 1972.
Since those early days voluntary members have attempted to improve the range of exhibits to embrace many aspects of the war. Brenzett is an Independent Charitable Trust dedicated to the memory of those living or dead, friend or foe, who served their country during wartime.

The Exhibition is located within the original buildings used as a Hostel for the Women's Land Army during the war, and part of the Exhibition is devoted to those ladies - some of their graffiti is still evident today!
Lydd Interactive Map
Port Lympne
Stacks Image 3133
Port Lympne Wild Animal Park & Gardens
There's an animal for everyone at Port Lympne. One of the largest wild animal parks in the UK, with plenty of wide open spaces for our animals to roam. Committed to conservation, putting animals first and treating them as guests. World leader in breeding rare and endangered species.
Lydd Interactive Map
More about Lympne
Lydd
Lydd Kent
Lydd is a town in Kent, England, lying on the Romney Marsh. It is one of the larger towns on the marsh, and the most southerly town in Kent. Actually located on Denge Marsh, Lydd was one of the first sandy islands to form as the bay evolved into what is now called the Romney Marsh. The name Hlyda, which derives from the Latin word for "shore", was found in a Saxon charter dating from the 8th century.
The parish of Lydd comprises the town of Lydd, Dungeness, Lydd-on-Sea and parts of Greatstone.
Notable buildings in Lydd include a guildhall and a mediaeval courthouse. Chamberlains and churchwardens accounts of the 15th century survive alongside the town charters.

Kent Tourism Guides & Maps - Click to View

My Image

Romney-Marsh-Churches

My Image

Royal-Military-Canal

My Image

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Timetable 2015

My Image

Battle_Guide

Kent Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages
Kent Place Names
Stacks Image 6517
If you have wandered through the Kent Downs whether on foot, by horse, bicycle or car will have, at one time or another, pondered over the meaning of place names of towns , villages or hamlets that we normally take for granted in our everyday lives. Places such as Pett Bottom, Bigbury and Bobbing conjure up all manner of intriguing images as to the activities of former inhabitants, while others such as Whatsole Street, Smersole or Hartlip appear completely baffling.
Although most place names may appear at first sight to be random elements of words thrown together in no particular order, most are surprisingly easy to decipher with some elementary grounding in Old English. Over the centuries most of the Old English words have themselves corrupted and changed to appear as we know them today.
Kent Place Names
Kentish Dialect
Stacks Image 6654
Modern Kentish dialect shares many features with other areas of south-east England (sometimes collectively called "Estuary English"). Other characteristic features are more localised. For instance some parts of Kent, particularly in the north west of the county, share many features with broader Cockney.

A Dictionary of the Kentish Dialect and Provincialisms: in use in the county of Kent' by W.D.Parish and W.F.Shaw (Lewes: Farncombe,1888)
'The Dialect of Kent: being the fruits of many rambles' by F. W. T. Sanders (Private limited edition, 1950). Every attempt was made to contact the author to request permission to incorporate his work without success. His copyright is hereby acknowledged.
Kentish Dialect
Kent Parishes

Kent Parishes
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1894 -1895

LYDD PARISH

Lydd, a small town, a municipal borough, and a parish in Kent. The town stands near the coast, 3 1/2 miles SW by S of New Romney, 4 NW of Dungeness, and 72 from London by road. It has a station on the S.E.R., 70 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office. Lydd is a member of Romney cinque port, and a borough by prescription; is governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors, and is a seat of petty sessions. The old market-house has been converted into a handsome town-hall. Acreage of parish, 12,015, of which 1040 are water; population, 2061. The land is of various character, a great portion appears to be of more recent formation than the adjacent marshes, and parts, called the Rype and Midrips, run out in narrow tongues, yet reaches of the beach are suffering inroads by the sea, and are cut by it into pits or water-holes. A long tract, called the Holmstone, was once covered with sea-holly, locally termed holm, and of an unusual size. A heap of stones at Stone End, on the shore to the E of the town,vas long traditionally regarded as the tomb of St Crispin and St Crispianus, who were alleged to have been shipwrecked and buried here. Dungeness, with coastguard and lifeboat stations and lighthouse, is in the parish. During the greater part of the year there is a large military camp stationed here for gunnery and rifle practice, and a military hospital was erected in 1894. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; net value, £730 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large and handsome building of the Later English style, dating from the early part of the 13th century, and consists of nave, chancel, and a beautiful tower. An interesting pictorial record of the past has been discovereda relic of painted glass high up in the E window-of a very beautiful head, probably of the boy-bishop which is often mentioned in the town records. The face is that of a boy of about twelve years of age, with long curly hair. He is called in these records Bishop of St Nicholas, and is said to have annually come over on St Nicholas Day from New Romney, and " fee'd and feted" at the expense of the corporation. The tower, which is of more recent date than the main building, having been erected between 1425 and 1450, was heightened in 1510 to 132 feet, at the expense, it is supposed, of Cardinal Wolsey, who held the benefice in right of the Abbey of Tintem. The church contains an altar-tomb to Sir W. Meynell of the time of Edward III., and a number of brasses, and was given by one of the De Clares to Tintem Abbey. It was thoroughly restored in 1887. A Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1886. Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels were erected in 1892.
More Kent Parishes

KENTPOI
Kent - Places of Interest | Kent - Points of Interest | Kent - People of Interest

About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 3369

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 3373

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages